
GAINSVILLE, Florida -- The Florida Gators' search for their new head coach ended today, as the university introduced Basil Faraday in a press conference earlier this morning. The announcement, and subsequent installation of Faraday, comes as sort of a surprise to the Gator faithful, who expected to hear that coach Steve Whitaker would be their next leader. The exact terms of Faraday's contract are unknown, but we have learned that it is a seven year deal worth "a lot" of money.
Here are parts of the press conference's transcript:
R: What kind of experience do you have to lead such a prominent college football team, a team that has won two of the last three national titles?
BF: At James Madison University, I was the mastermind behind a great rushing attack that established [JMU] as a force to be reckoned with. I have worked hard to better myself and to make those around me better. I am young and enthusiastic, and I know that there is always something to be learned from someone.
R: What assistants are you looking to retain from the previous Florida regime, and in what areas are you looking to bring your own people in?
BF: There will not be wholesale changes made to the current coaching staff. We have not yet discussed who fits into our plans and who doesn't, but there is a great staff installed right now. I will be the overseer of the offense primarily, so there might be some changes made there.
R: What kind of offense do you plan on installing?
BF: I am a firm believer that we need to run the football well to succeed. Having said that, I certainly know how great a runner Tim [Tebow] is, and what he brings to the table in that regard. I also know that he is a solid passer of the football. We really are going to look at the talent that we have and evaluate what kind of system we will run, but don't be surprised if we shift from a shotgun spread offense with option mixed in to a more balanced, under-center attack. Time will tell.
R: The Southeastern Conference has produced four of the past six national champions, with the Gators and the LSU Tigers winning two apiece. How do you think the Gators will fare this season, and moving forward, in the toughest conference in the land?
BF: The SEC is certainly stacked, and we have our work cut out for us. Every game is a big game, and no one will be taken lightly. Our biggest games this season are obviously Tennessee at home, LSU on the road, and Georgia in Jacksonville. All I can say is that we have the talent to win now, and our gameplanning will be put to the test.
R: Coach, where on your list of "dream jobs" does the Florida job rank?
BF: The Gators were definitely in my top 3 dream jobs. For each of the three that I REALLY considered dream jobs, I would have stopped whatever I was doing to come coach. When Florida called to interview me, I about fell out of my chair. I am so excited to be here in Gainsville, even though it is a little hot here in the summer [laughs]. I am going to bring a passion to this team and this university that will be unrelenting. To borrow a couple words from Tim [Tebow], God bless.
1 comments:
That pic is classic. You should be able to cut/paste this entire article into the site. I can show you how later tonight, and then you can pass that on. For you - should take about 5 minutes to learn.
I'll hit you up.
Oh, and how does one get a layout like this? I'd like to do the same thing in red and gray.
Post a Comment